Monday, July 20, 2009

Cave for Corporate or Endure for Entrepreneurship

Had an interesting day that brought a lot of interesting questions to my mind.

In a world full of opportunities and endless possibilities should we adapt ourselves to get ahead for other people (employers) or should we stay true to ourselves, take the hits, and make our own rules as we go.

I face a lot of criticism because of my "serial entrepreneur" habits. I come and go on projects on a daily basis. However, I believe that this is one of the things that helps keep my dream alive.

Just yesterday I had one of my best friends in the world tell me (that after 10 years of entrepreneurship and dedication) that business isn't for me. The justification on this statement was based on the fact that I am not willing to sacrifice principals, values, and beliefs in order to satisfy others. I was taken-aback with this statement and got to thinking about how disconnected we can become from who we are in the chase for the mighty dollar.

If you've read my blog before, you know that I feel very strongly about being ourselves.

Professionalism and dedication are not optional but being brainwashed and disconnected is. There is no amount of money or material goods that could convince me to change the way I believe things should be done for the way someone else does. I believe in customer service, respect, and leaving everyone and every place better than it was found.

Staying true to myself and standing up for what I believe in has cost me a lot of money and even some friends. But then again who wants money that was earned being someone we're not and who wants friends who don't support who we really are. Besides, I would rather work for or with a company or clients who values individuality, creativity, and diversity. People hire us for who we are. Do you stay true to who you are?

My thought is this: Be who you are because if you loose the job, the client, or the friend - you will never let yourself down and can rest easy knowing that you did what was right.

Best wishes for success: don't cave - stay strong!

Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment